A royal flush is the highest-ranking hand in poker, containing the five highest cards in sequential rank and the same suit: the ace, king, queen, jack, and ten. We can relate the benefits of Memory-accelerated FlexPod technology with NetApp MAX Data software to poker’s royal flush.
I’m not sure whether my friend, Bruno Messina, is a gambling man or not – but he’s always ready to bet on FlexPod because he knows it’s a sure thing. And Bruno is not alone. IT Central Station, the independent reviewer, ranks FlexPod as the #1 converged infrastructure, and lists a rating of 4.3/5 based on reviews from over 140 companies that are also betting on FlexPod.[i] In his recent blog, Memory-accelerated FlexPod is the Royal Flush of High-performance Systems, he equates FlexPod with this illustrious poker hand, and goes into detail about precisely what Memory-accelerated FlexPod is and what it can do for your company.
In 2018, 1.61 zettabytes of IP traffic passed from data centers to users.[ii] That is a mind-boggling number. To work with big data in modern applications, companies require increasingly faster, more secure infrastructures. Memory-accelerated FlexPod technology with NetApp MAX Data software works with Intel Optane DC persistent memory – a nonvolatile, new storage tier that sits between the traditional DRAM and a flash or hybrid NetApp ONTAP storage array – and makes your FlexPod faster and more secure by building on FlexPod’s inherent advantages.
Memory-accelerated FlexPod’s Royal Flush of Benefits
Recently, in an Evaluator Group paper “Enterprise Applications with MAX Data Performance” and video, the author and speaker, Russ Fellows, listed advantages of Memory-accelerated FlexPod. These high-ranking advantages are what bring to life the royal flush analogy.
- The Ace: More and faster I/O. Subject to your workload, MAX Data enables up to 5 times more I/O operations, meaning your applications run more quickly.
- The King: Less is more. Fewer necessary resources and higher efficiency combine, lowering both your software and hardware costs. More workloads can run on the same server, and performance increases.
- The Queen: Lower your risk. Memory-accelerated FlexPod delivers these benefits with no change to your data and operational models. In other words, you don’t have to make any application changes to use persistent memory, which lowers your risk.
- The Jack: Make more time for innovation. A recent IDC survey of FlexPod customers confirms its innovative overall value proposition and benefits, including that FlexPod customers spend 65 percent more time on innovation and new projects.
- The Ten: Saving on resources. The same IDC survey also found that FlexPod customers saw a 34 percent decrease in their used data center floor space and a 29 percent reduction in power and cooling usage.
This reduction in electricity isn’t just good for the bottom line, it’s good for the environment. The carbon footprint of information and communication technologies (ICT) has grown. In response, carbon-conscious companies work to reduce consumption to save money and help reduce their environmental impact. Reducing power and cooling usage is a critical consideration and an advantage that FlexPod offers.
Memory-accelerated FlexPod and its royal flush of benefits is available now. If you have a FlexPod unit, download a trial copy of MAX Data software – consider it your ace in the hole.